Tuesday 24 July 2012

The Simple Woman's Day book . . .




FOR TODAY, June 24th, 2012...

Outside My Window...

The sun is shining brilliantly! Looks to be another good day. I think our summer has finally arrived, and it's about time too!!

I am thinking...
My grandmother told me,
"Never hide your green hair . . .
They can see it anyways."
~Angeles Arrien

Who you are IS enough. Never give rise to the feeling that it is anything otherwise. God doesn't make junk.

I am thankful for...
I got an e-mail yesterday telling me that I had been shortlisted for the Turkey Blogger of the year award and Todd and I are invited to attend the Awards at the end of September at the Savoy Hotel in London. I am thankful for these delightful little surprises that crop up every now and then. It makes life interesting. I have never been to the Savoy, so win or lose, it should be a fab experience!

From the kitchen...
There are some leftover snowball cakes and some lemon tarts . . . oh and a fruit cake I bought Todd. He loves fruitcake.

I am wearing...

White cotton M&S summer nightie, printed with sprigged violets, lace and violet coloured ribbon. Very pretty.

I am creating...

I have a few irons in the fire.



About half done. That will be shelved until we get back. This time I will finish an afghan. It will NOT end up in a box in the loft . . . gathering dust.


Link
I am also working very hard to get my stuff ready for our "Christmas In July" activity for RS this month. We're having it next Thursday. My offering will be edible gifts you can make for your friends and family . . . like Gifts in a jar . . . Gifts in a Mug . . .



I am also really liking these hot cocoa cones . . . and I am completely enraptured with . . .



These!!! Are they not the most adorable things you have ever seen???
It's going to be such a fun night. We have a whole lot of workshops set up . . . creative gift wrapping, crafts to make, etc. I hope that the sisters enjoy what we have to show them!

I am going...
We are taking Mitzie to be groomed today. Her appointment was canceled last week as both of the dog groomers were down with a nasty virus. She is looking like a shaggy black Yeti at the moment. There is a Stake Youth Camp being held at our Ward at the end of this week. The RS of our Ward has been charged with feeding them, and so I will be helping out at that as well. Other then that there is not a lot planned. Oh, there is our Missionary Correlation meeting on Thursday evening as well. As the weather is so nice, we may go to a National Trust place or some such one day.
I am reading...




Call the Midwife, by Jennifer Worth
I really enjoyed the series by the BBC and thought I would like to read the book. Books are always a lot more detailed than films or television shows. I am really enjoying this book. It's fabulous and I am glad that I picked it up to read. It details the life of a young midwife in London's East End in the 1950's and is a real peek into the way of life which existed there during that time period . . . the hardship, the poverty, the sadness, the joy, etc. I highly recommend.

Still reading this.




Peony In Love, by Lisa See
I love Lisa See novels. I am very interested in Oriental culture.

“I finally understand what the poets have written. In spring, moved to passion; in autumn only regret.”

For young Peony, betrothed to a suitor she has never met, these lyrics from The Peony Pavilion mirror her own longings. In the garden of the Chen Family Villa, amid the scent of ginger, green tea, and jasmine, a small theatrical troupe is performing scenes from this epic opera, a live spectacle few females have ever seen. Like the heroine in the drama, Peony is the cloistered daughter of a wealthy family, trapped like a good-luck cricket in a bamboo-and-lacquer cage. Though raised to be obedient, Peony has dreams of her own.

I'm also reading this:


The Pact by Jodi Picault
For eighteen years the Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other. Parents and children alike are best friends - until Emily Gold is found dead with a bullet wound to the head, and police immediately suspect her boyfriend and life long best friend, Chris Harte, of murder. The police doubt Chris’s story of their suicide pact.

With this riveting psychological drama, Jodi Picoult explores the dynamics of intimate relationships under stress -- from the seemingly inexplicable mind of a teenager to the bonds of friendship and marriage. Her books are real page-turners, and she has a way of presenting all sides fairly which always gives food for thought and discussion.

All are on my Kindle. It's so much easier to manage in bed than a book, and a lot easier on my wrists.

I am hoping...

I
am hoping that this sunny weather continues for a while. Enough of the rain! A bit of sunshine is good for the soul and the garden!

I am hearing...
Nothing new really. The keys are tapping. The birds are singing. The odd car drives by. The clock is ticking.
Mitzie and I just had a cuddle on the sofa. She likes her morning cuddle. I do too. No surprise there!

Around the house...



I am loving this garden shed. When I was a little girl, I always wanted to have a play house . . . I have seen the play house, or Molly House as I believe it is called over here, down at Chartwell, which was Winston Churchill's home. I know I am all grown up . . . but I would still love to have a play house like this. A place to sit by and read in the summer . . .

My friend Sheilagh has a Scrappy Shack . . . that's her playhouse. It's all hers and is filled to overflowing with her scrap booking and craft things. She can sit in there and play to her heart's content!
One of my favourite things . . .


I
just adore china teacups. I used to have quite a collection. Sadly, I only have two left now. It was three, but I gifted a friend with one because she likes them too, and she loved the colour red . . . and I wanted to give her something special. I think I will try to buy myself one every now again if I can afford to. I will have to have a boo around the charity shops. You don't often find any in them though . . . they are very much in demand I think, and sell right away.

Something new about me ...
I
hate spiders. I loathe spiders. Spiders give me the willies. I hate it when there is one in the house. I don't care how good they are to the environment . . . or how good they are for anything else. I don't like spiders and I DON'T want any in my house.

One of my guilty pleasures ...

Buttered Saltine Crackers with a bowl of tinned pears. It's that salty sweet thing again . . .

Pet Peeves...
Fresh produce that goes off seemingly as soon as you bring it home from the shops. What's with that anyways??? It always happens to me, and I try really hard to buy the dated stuff with the longest shelf date possible. (YES, I am one of those annoying people who dig to the back of every shelf. I know that is how they stack them with the oldest ones out front.)

Here is picture thought I am sharing...




We could never have guessed
We were already blessed
where we are . . .
~James Taylor

The secret to a happy life comes from awakening and freeing that which has been asleep. We spend our lives chasing pots of gold that we think lie at the ends of rainbows . . . when the truth is, they already lay in our laps.

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:

"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver."
~Proverbs 25:11



And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!)



Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . a delicious Potato Salad with Blue Cheese and Bacon!

I hope your day is as wonderful as YOU are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!