Monday 21 May 2012

Monday . . . Monday, a day to just be . . .




Oh my, but the sun is shining gloriously outside my window this morning! It looks like it's going to be a fine day . . . the  kind of day that makes one feel grateful just to be alive!

The kind of day that is just perfect to explore the gift of sacred idleness . . . and I know . . . I am blessed to be able to have that luxury, to be able to spend a day, any day I choose to . . . in blessed , sacred . . . idleness.

When I first got up this morning and came downstairs to let Mitzie out, I stepped out onto the back pation for a brief moment, letting the coolness of the early morning air wash over me.  Sun dappled patterns of light and shadow danced across the paving stones . . . a dance I had not seen in a while.




A beautiful concerto was playing . . . birds singing, bees buzzing . . . all in perfect harmony, and . . . like me . . . enjoying the early morning stillness.  It was all I could do to break myself away from it and come back inside . . . but I had to because . . . the chill of a cold Spring is still in the air . . . and it's not quite warm enough just yet for lollygagging in the garden on early sunny mornings.  One must wait until later in the day for that . . . still . . . that one brief moment was enough to get my day off to a most beautiful start!

It was that kind of moment that resonates in your soul . . . the perfect beginning to a day when I plan to do absolutely nothing at all, but simply enjoy it.

"Work is not always required . . . there is such a thing as sacred idleness, the cultivation of which is now fearfully neglected."
~George MacDonald

Today . . . I'm just going to BE.

 

Look at this positively delightful picture my son sent me yesterday of my eldest grandson! Yes, another milestone has been reached . . . the loss of that first baby tooth!  I think the Toothfairy was making a special visit last night!  It's hard to believe that he is already old enough to be losing his teeth . . . it seems like just yesterday that he stole my heart completely at his arrival on this earth!  But then again . . . he is six now and so . . . these things will happen.  First days of school, lost baby teeth . . . all these milestones being reached one after another.  I cannot wait to see him in just five or six weeks now, along with the rest of my family!  Good times!

The milk float just arrived across the street from our house.  I can see it arriving every morning.  It glides silently down the street . . . with only the odd tinkle from the milk bottles making any noise.  Yes . . .  the milk arrives in small pint sized bottles over here.  That is a sound I thought I would never hear again . . . it is a sweet sound that I enjoy, tinkling milk bottles, hearkening back to my childhood.  I am glad I am an early riser.  I get to enjoy all these simple luxuries and pleasures that most people miss out on entirely!


What sights or sounds pluck on your heart strings and resonate in your soul?  Please do share with me.  I'd love to hear them.  Blessings shared are more than twice enjoyed you know.  


I wish for each of you a happy day and beginning to your week.


“May brooks and trees and singing hills join in the chorus too, and every gentle wind that blows send happiness to you.” ~ an Irish Blessing




Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . a delicious Double Crusted Blueberry Oat Crumble!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!