Thursday 30 September 2010

Finishing what I start . . .



Stick to a task,
‘Til it sticks to you.
Beginners are many,
Finishers are few.
~anonymous

I’m afraid I am one of those undisciplined people who have a really hard time finishing the things I start. I am well intentioned . . . but something often happens to prevent me from finishing most tasks I start.

I’ve always been that way I’m afraid. I have lots of fingers in lots of pies but most of them are never followed through to fruition. I have boxes of unfinished crafting projects sitting in the spare room. Folders full of unfinished stories and books. A head full of ideas galore that never get past the idea stage. Probably about 5 or 6 books started, but rarely finished.



I don’t know why I am that way. It totally drives Todd up the wall, I know. He is a finisher. He never starts a new task without finishing the one he’s on right now! Me, I’m the type of person that sets off to tidy up a cupboard and then finds something I haven’t seen in a long time in the cupboard. Next thing I know, I am off doing something with whatever it is I have found, and the cupboard is left behind . . . forgotten, half finished . . .

I’m ashamed to say that, although I have read the whole Book of Mormon and the Bible, I’ve never actually read either one of them from front cover to back cover, all in chronological order. I hop around like a rabbit in a vegetable garden, feasting on this bit and on that bit . . . but never in tidy rows. I know it is important to feast on the Word of God, and I suppose I should be content that I do manage to do what I do. I do so love the Scriptures. I just wish I could discipline myself enough to sit down and do it properly . . . and orderly.



I have quite a few stacks of cookery magazines. (I bet you are surprised to read that, NOT! Haha) Several years back I went out and purchased some folders and paper etc. with the idea in mind that I was going to go through my magazines and clip out the recipes I wanted to save in each one and then discard the rest. HA! I got started, I truly did . . . But the magazines are mostly all still sitting there, except now there is a pile of folders and paper sitting there with them . . .

I’m not sure what the answer to my dilemma is. Perhaps more hours in the day? Maybe a few extra hands? I seem to get bored very easily, and that annoys me. I wish I had the ability to stick with something big, and see it through to the end. I guess that is something I will have to keep working on. If any of you has a solution or any hints to help solve this problem, let me know!

One thing I’m pretty good at though is finishing recipes. Hmmm . . . I guess I’m pretty good at eating them when they’re done as well!!!!



*Moroccan Baked Potato Skins*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

These are supposed to be a snack, but I could make a meal out of them. I love the way a potato is like a blank canvas. You can put just about anything with them and come up with a tasty and delicious dish. These are a bit spicy, but in a very wonderful way! I’m not sure how authentically Moroccan they are, only that they are mighty tasty. Serve hot or warm with sour cream for dipping.

1 ½ pounds of baking potatoes
3 ½ ounces of olive oil
1 TBS harissa paste
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp turmeric
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Pre-heat the oven to 220*C/425*F. Scrub your potatoes really thoroughly and then dry them really well. Cut the potatoes into thick wedges and then cut the skin off of the potatoes until it is about ¾ of an inch thick. (You can keep the rest of the potato for a few days, covered and refrigerated in a container of salted water to use for mashed potatoes another time)

Mix together the olive oil, harissa paste, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric and garlic. Add the potato skins and toss them all together really well, making sure they are well coated with the spice mixture. Place in a single layer on a shallow baking tray, season to taste with some salt and pepper, and bake for about 35 minutes until golden and crisp.

Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese. Return to the oven and bake for a few minutes longer until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Serve hot or warm with some sour cream for dipping if desired.



Cooking in The English Kitchen today, scrummy Ploughman's Scones, a deliciously tangy cheddar scone, filled with a sweet and spicy windfall chutney!


12 comments:

  1. Keith is somewhat like you in that he gets 'sidetracked', a kind way of saying his head never stays in one place for long. For instance, he'll set out to clear up his shed, find something he hasn't seen for 20 years and suddenly THAT is the new black. Very important. Ergo, the shed is always a mess.

    What's the answer? If I only knew............

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could be identical twins Marie! lol
    My husband always moans at me for starting and not finishing projects. I began to draw again yesterday. Just a grapevine leaf which had fallen from the gazebo. I just loved the autumnal colours in it. I am now putting off colouring it in whilst I am on the 'puter.
    I'm with you...there are not enough hours in the day.
    As for your comments on my journal...I am fed up to the eye teeth of this rain too!
    Jeanie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have at least 3 or 4 projects to finish up but then I think that soon the cold days will keep be indoors at home so I putting them off for then. Time will tell just how much I get done. I don't fret about anything anymore but prefer life in the slow lane. Doing what you love is ok but not if it causes any stress at all. I hope your Thursday is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats hard to believe about you...you seem like such an organized person! I love potato skins..my favorite! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVELY post, Marie! I think we can all relate here one way or another. I'm somewhere in between. I thrive on multiple projects at once, but I try really hard to finish them all. Sometimes it takes time, but they get done...LOL! Thank goodness for you and for us on your recipe-finishing though--LOVE these spicy tater skins! We'd love these for a Saturday evening snack whilst watching a film--must make. We're just back from our trip... catching our breath, doing laundry & all sorts, and checking in with friends. Happy Weekend ahead, my friend--hope we get to chat! :o) LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get sidetracked as well. Thanks for your sweet visit -- Oh I wish I could just grab one of your delicious scones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup...triplets for sure!!!! I felt like you wrote the post about me! I have always been this way, I guess that is why I like doing the paper art swaps I am in, I HAVE to finish them in a certain time. It seems if there is a deadline I can do it just fine, a little frazzeled but fine....if there isn't a deadline???? You guessed it, most are just sitting there....I have great ideas, just no real drive to bring them to fruition. I also have that notebook and paper....and lots of pages of magazines! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Dear,
    We are in a rush because we have been called in to work at the temple early today. I took a minute to catch up on yesterday and today's posts. I think the reason that you don't always finish projects is because you are so creative that your mind can't stand still very long. I sometimes do the same thing. I have drawers full of materials and patterns I've never sewn. I have good intentions.

    I like your "be content" post. I think being content and having gratitude for your blessings is an important part of being happy in life. There will always be people who have more than I do.... but there are lots of people who have less. I am thankful for what I have.

    I must run...John is going out the door. Hugs, Lura

    p.s. I thought I sent this hours ago before we left for the temple. Here it is almost midnight and I find it is still here because it tells me I gave an incorrect password. Oh well... have a good day dear. I am beat. I am falling into bed. Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too many mistakes in my last comment...I needed a do-over! Let me try again!

    OH my goodness Marie! What a wonderful post. It spoke to me - we are so much alike! I have a doll started that looks at me every day and seems to ask "Hey! What about me???" I want to finish her so badly. I just haven't found my way there yet. I picked her up yesterday and held her at arm's length and tried to see her face and her dress and I just didn't see it. I do this almost every day. One day I will see it and whatever I am doing will come to a screeching halt and I will sit down and finish her!

    Thank you for your wise words and the effort you take to share with all of us. It doesn't fall on deaf ears and I love you for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ha! i have a hard time finishing books sometimes too:) depends on the book-it has to totally thrill me i guess. and i guess i'm hard to please-lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like me. Ha, ha. I can totally relate.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!