Saturday 17 April 2010

Saturday This and That



I have always shared a special fondness for Ladybirds, or Ladybugs as they are called in Canada . . . those delightful little polka dotted bugs that show up in our gardens most years. I just adore polka dots, and well . . . how could you not adore a bug that showcases them so beautifully!

Did you know that they used to call Ladybirds, "Our Lady's Bird?" Neither did I, until this morning. The red colouring was seen as resembling the cloak as worn by the Virgin Mary in old paintings.



If you count it's spots, you will see that there are seven and they are believed to be a reminder of the seven joys and seven sorrows in Mary's life.

So not only does the humble ladybird hold a special place in my heart, but now I know that it also holds a special place in religious lore.



If we have a sunny day today (hasn't the past week been gorgeous!) I am going to take a little walk through the neighborhood and show you a bit about where I am now living. So many of you have asked about it and how can I resist! I'll show you a bit more of our new home as well.



I finally got the newest of my dolls finished yesterday. My newest creations are a couple! Pat and Pete. I just love them and had ever so much fun sewing them and picking out the fabrics for their clothes etc. I did their noses in wool felt this time and I used actual buttons for the eyes, to give them that nostalgic feel. They're for sale right now in my Etsy Shop. I had hoped that by the time I came back on line I would have a lot more to show you, but drat it! The unpacking and sorting out got in the way!

We're almost finished all of that now. Yesterday we put together the last bit of our bedroom furniture. I think we are getting pretty good at that now! We had it done in almost no time at all yesterday and it looks really nice. We also put together a kitchen trolly for me that we got at Tesco's Home store and what a difference! Our furniture we got from Ikea. The put together instructions were fantastic and very easy to follow. You just could not make a mistake. In contrast this kitchen trolly . . . the instructions were just awful!! You would think that if Ikea can make things a lot easier for their customers, then other flat pack manufacturers would follow suit! Nevermind, we got there in the end and I now have an additional couple feet of counter space to use in my kitchen, which is a real plus!

Tonight there is a Ward Activity at our new Ward, a Munch and Mingle. It will be a great opportunity for us to get to know a few more of the members. I've been asked to bring a cake and I am going to make my Pumpkin Spice Cake. It is a real people pleaser and always goes down really well. I'll share the recipe with you tomorrow. In the meantime . . .

We were in the butchers the other morning and he had these lovely looking Danish Bacon Chops on offer. I could not resist! We had them for our tea the other night, served up with some rice and beans and my goodness but they were delicious. I could have just fried them up of course, but why settle for plain old fried when with just a tiny bit of effort you can have them glazed in a deliciously fruity and spicy glaze! They went down a real treat!



*Spiced Bacon Chops*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Delicious bacon chops with a tasty orange marmalade, mustard and ginger glaze! Very quick and easy!

4 bacon chops, each about ½ inch thick
¼ cup orange marmalade
2 TBS water
1 TBS butter
1 TBS Dijon mustard
1 tsp golden syrup (or corn syrup)
¼ tsp ground powdered ginger



Spray a large skillet with some cooking spray. Place over medium high heat and once hot cook your bacon chops, cooking them for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until cooked through, and nicely browned. (Make sure you crisp up the fatty edge)

Place the marmalade, water, butter, Dijon mustard, syrup and ginger into a measuring cup. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute on high until bubbling. Take out and whisk together until smooth. Pour this over top of the bacon chops. Allow to bubble up and thicken for several minutes, turning the chops over and over until they are glazed. Remove from the heat and serve, with some of the juices spooned over top.



And over on The English Kitchen today? Some deliciously scrummy Strawberry and Mint Scones. I'm talking about sugar!


11 comments:

  1. Good morning dear,
    John and I have been busy tonight canning loquats. We have trees full of them and we have never done anything but eat them off the tree before. We will see how they turn out and I will let you know.
    When I saw how late it is I thought I might find a post from you... so I took this little break to say hello.
    I am glad that you are enjoying the nice weather. I can't wait until you take your walk and show us the neighborhood and your house. I am excited to see it.
    I love your new dolls.... but then I love all of your work...actually I just love you too.
    I hope you have a great day. I am about ready to fall into bed...maybe I will dream of my dear friends across the pond.
    Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie I have learned some thing new today ,about Ladybirds ,which I love too ,your dolls are delightful ,I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of your new home and neighbourhood ..love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie ladybirds are a rare treat here. They are so pretty and I did not know about the spots.

    Your dolls are so very sweet.

    I, too, cannot wait to learn abotu your new home. However I am not of the finding that Ikea furniture goes together easily. I have stacks of ruined Ikea furniture in the ex's home. He would lose it and just jam it together any which way. My last attempt worked but i did not find it easy to assemble a bed by myself.

    Take care and I hope you have a fabulous meet and mingle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard the story of the Lady Birds and Mary before. That is a lovely thought. They were always believed to bring good luck. I know they eat insects in the garden that might be harmful to plants so I've always considered them a good thing to have around.
    I know everyone will enjoy that cake you are making. I do hope your Saturday is a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ladybugs.I always ehard that they ment Good luck.Lovely photos and the dolls are just to cute.The scones look really yummy mint wahat a good taste for something sweet.

    Do enjoy the day and have a nice time at Meet and mingle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. excuse the typos fast typing is not one of my best features LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, Marie! WHat adorable dollies--you have such a beautiful style with your dolls--love them!

    So glad you're diving right into your new ward--that's the way to do it! You'll have many new friends in no time! (Especially when you show up with your Pumpkin Spice Cake!)

    I'm off to teach a workshop in our Stake Relief SOciety Conference today--I'm a bit nervous! I'm teaching about increasing our spirituality through scripture study, etc. A 45 minute workshop that I need to teach 3 times...YIKES! Hope it all goes well! I'll be happy when it's all over...it's been the focus of the last month for me!

    Hope your weekend is wonderful--don't work too hard! Love you loads!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always used to like ladybirds - until I discovered when I was about 12 that they could fly and I saw one open its wings and take off. Sorry, but those wings just gave me the heebie-jeebies! Matters not that they never hurt me BEFORE I was 12; they can fly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pleased to see you back posting Marie, I have missed your post such alot, on both of your sites. You sound as though you are settling in to your new home well. Sending you all my good wishes. Love Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, dear Marie! It takes time to unpack and move it...more time than we think...LOL! So glad you are happy in your new place and life getting back in gear. :o) I LOVE ladybugs (as we call them in the USA too)...they are always magical creatures, I think. Your dolls are sooo cute--those are happy creatures! ;o) Hope you & Toddy are enjoying a lovely weekend there. The sun is shining here and spring is awakening--love this time! LOVE YOU HEAPS, dear friend... chat soon :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all seem to love our little ladybirds..saw some yeterday on the plants, as they seem to eat the greenfly I just left them to any they coudl find..I hope that ou are having a lovely evening and taht everyone enjoys your delicious cake. I think Mr and Mrs look so cute...
    I am away to Scotland at 7ish in the morning will be back late Thurs. Just a very quick visit to see my dear friends..Mary staying here and going to look after Dee my wee dog. Till I get back look after each oter, Love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!