Monday, 14 September 2026

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. What you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   


 

Weekends with Eileen. Living over in the U.K. like I did for so many years, I never thought I would be able to enjoy something like this. I lived so far away and family times were few and far between. She did have tickets bought to come over and spend some time with me with her brother Anthony, but then covid happened and that got put off and then we all know what happened next. Here I am and we are both really enjoying this time we get to spend together each weekend. It's not like we do anything special. We are just here . . .  together.  We enjoy each others company. It is a cozy, comfortable companionship.



In studying the Old Testament this year one of the stories I loved and have always loved was the story of Esther. I am not comparing myself to her in quite the same way, but recently the thought came to me that I am here when I am now for a purpose.  To help Eileen to get through this challenge in the way that only a mother can. Had the things which happened to me not happened, I would still be over there, obliviously living a life built on a bedrock of sand and I would not be here to see my daughter through her hour of need. 

Another blessing which has come from the ashes of what I thought was failure.


 

Lunch with Jacqueline.  My friend Jackie had invited the two of us to come have lunch with her on Saturday. Eileen was really keen to go. She's not so keen to spend time with a lot of my friends, or to go to any of my church activities (like the corn boil) but she likes Jackie and so she really was looking forward to seeing Jackie's home and spending time with her. We really enjoyed the time. Jackie had made a nice homemade chicken and rice soup and there was sour dough bread and a few other goodies. Best of all was the company, and seeing Eileen enjoy herself as much as she did.  That did this mother's heart good.


 

I love this. Autumn IS the season of my soul. With purple hued morning mists and the colours of the changing leaves  . . .  the smell of woodsmoke  as the sound of wild geese flying over head echoes through the skies as the temperatures drop a little bit day by day. I am in my element. I am where I want to be and I feel recharged and invigorated. I love the Autumn so much . . . the colours of the landscape have changed every time I pull my car out of the garage and hit the road. Each new journey being more beautiful than the last. 


 

Church on a Sunday.  I love going to church on Sunday. Sometimes I would rather stay home and be comfortable, but I make myself go and I am always glad that I did. It is always worth the effort taken.  I love the routine of it.  Knowing that each week I can go and no matter where the church is located, things will happen in the same way. The beautiful hymns and prayers, the partaking of the sacrament, the talks that lift and inspire. The lessons in Sunday School and Relief Society afterwards.  Seeing people I care about and sharing thoughts and feelings about how the week just lived has brought us closer to God, or inspired us in some way. Shared experiences and feelings.  It's all good, and I always feel better for having made the effort.




No matter where I go or for how long, there is always someone waiting for me when I get home. These two add immeasurable joy to my life. Yes, they are hairy and shed . . .  sometimes a lot, but that is nothing that a good vacuum can't take care of and they pay out huge dividends in love and comfort. I would not be without them.


 


Warm feet  . . .  I love warm feet, especially during the day. If my feet are warm, then I am warm.  I especially love the feeling when I get into bed at night and take the socks off. The sheets always feel so lovely against my toes.  But yeh, warm feet. I love warm feet. How blessed am I that I have warm feet.



 


Family times. They ARE the best of times.  Moments spent with Cindy and Dad and Dan. Dinners out, dinners in. Having Eileen here and taking her out to eat as well.  Time spent with family. Time well spent and memories made. Priceless.  Absolutely priceless.

I know I say the same things week after week.  I probably lead quite a boring life when compared to some, but it is also a life that is full of the things which matter most and for that I am truly grateful.

☾° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛Most of the time the universe 
speaks to us very quietly 
in pockets of silence, in coincidences, 
in nature, in forgotten memories, 
in the shape of clouds, in moments of solitude, 
in small tugs at our hearts.” 
~Yumi Sakugawa  ° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 


Pear, Vanilla & Cardamom Jam


In The English Kitchen today   . . .  Pear, Vanilla & Cardamom Jam. A small batch. Delicious. Warmly scented and spiced. Lovely, simply lovely.

I do so hope that you had a great weekend and that you have a fabulous Monday filled with small and wonderful things that put a smile on your face.  Whatever you get up to, don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═════════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ════════════  

And I do too!    

   

1 comment:

  1. Warm feet, isn't it amazing that warm feet can change your whole outlook. Sounds like you and Eileen had a lovely weekend. May the week ahead be just as nice.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!