Saturday, 18 October 2014

I am from . . .


 photo UncleDariusandAuntJanet.jpg


 I am from an old hand carved wooden box of the Oregon Trail sitting on a faded and threadbare picture carpet my father brought from Sicily atop our television . . .  from a big box of Tide soap smelling clean and fresh, and cartons of Orange and Apricot flavoured Beep, and glass milk bottles left on the porch.

I am from war time military housing, each one a cookie cutter stamp of the next, but what we called home . . . each one made our own by all the bits and bobs we carried around with us from place to place . . . like a turtle carries his home on his back.


 photo FamilywomenCROPPED.jpg

I am from pine scented forests and clear woodland streams, rolling orchards and misty harbours full of fishing boats . . .  anchored and resting . . .  and rocky mountain meadows full of wild flowers and babbling brooks . . . meandering rivers and rushing torrents . . . fireflies and sheets of light which ripple  through starlit Northern skies at night.

I am from a grandmothers Molasses cookies, warm from the oven, and from always being right, from Nina and Elmer and Henrietta B, and all the staid and ordinary folk that came before me. I am from the salt of the earth and hard working hands, hearts that cared and eyes that cried tears made of salt and soul . . .  from bowels filled with the milk of human kindness.

 photo IdaMcnayrcropped.jpg

I am from pioneer men and strong women who weren‘t afraid to leave all that was familiar and theirs behind . . . crossing oceans to venture into new lands, making new starts built on hopes and dreams of golden futures and new beginnings.

I am from a God who loves even me, with all of my shortcomings and weaknesses. He uses them to make me strong and carries me when I can no longer carry myself and sets my feet upon higher ground, lifting me up to places I never dreamed of going or knew I wanted to go.


 photo IdaMcNayrSmithanddaughters.jpg

I am from the wilds of Glasgow and the loins of Boyd McNayr, from Phillippe and Anne and the cobbled streets of French Aristocrats . . .  from baking powder biscuits, Saturday night baked beans and butter tarts . . .  and Hockey Night in Canada.

 I am from the hearts that were broken and spirits that were mended and stiched back together with the love of family . . .  from am ancient Uncle who fed me humbugs on an old lady’s porch whilst telling me stories of wars in far off lands and shattered dreams put back together . . .  from the patchwork that is a family hewn from scraps and stories and roots that run deep in the soil of small mountain villages looking down on clean valleys.


 photo WoodworthBoy.jpg

I am from the  boxes of photos that lay in my mother’s home, black and white images of stoic faces and  honest people . . .  with work worn hands, big hearts, twinkling eyes, and stories whispered and legends told,ancient memories of humble folk and sturdy stock. I am their future, their hope, their dreams . . . they live on in me and those who will come after me . . .

That is a family . . .  my family . . .

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

 
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥  

When other's demand approval
in defiance of God's commandments . . .
may we always remember whose disciples we are,
and which way we face.
~Elder Lynn G Robbins

❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥      


 photo SAM_7683_zps8eaaefef.jpg

Baking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  an Almond and Apricot Filled Breakfast Cake.   Seriously delicious and so easy to make.

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░L░O░V░E⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════       

Have a fabulous Saturday!


7 comments:

Suze said...

Enjoy your Saturday. I have been to see dad and for the next two weeks or so I am playing catch up and then uni will start again.

Marie Rayner said...

You must be on a break from school Suzan! Enjoy it for all that it is!xxoo

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a wonderful way to express your history and that of your family. Family is a circle of love. Hope you have a super sweet Saturday !

La Table De Nana said...

This should be published.
What a talent you have!

Marie Rayner said...

Thank you so much Pam. YOu made me smile. I hope you have a great weekend too! xxoo

Thanks Monique. I think I may print it out and send it to my children for Christmas. With some decoration of course! xxoo

LeAnn said...

I love the photos and you amaze my with your talent for writing. This is publish worthy; and I loved it all.
Marie, you must write a book. I do hope you are still working on a Children's book.
Just sending you lots of love and hugs and blessings to come for you.
Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog.
You will always remain a favorite blogger.

Marie Rayner said...

Thank you so much LeAnn! I am always writing something. I have several children's books written. If I am ever discovered I have a wealth to share. IN the meantime I wait. You are one of my favourite bloggers too LeAnn!! xxoo