Sunday, 20 May 2012

Groovin' on a Sunday morning . . .




 Yesterday afternoon, as I puttered, I was thinking back to when I was a child and I thought . . . it's been a very long time since I have gone barefoot.  I never used to wear anything on my feet at all in the house.  The whole time my children were growing up, most of the time I walked around in my bare feet.  So last night . . . and even now . . . I am slipper free!  I know, I'm a bit of a crazy one aren't I . . . but I decided in bed last night that this summer . . .

I'm going to run around the garden in my bare feet.  Just like when I was a child.  I want to feel that special  coolness of the grass beneath my toes again.

 

I want to stand underneath the eaves in a Sun shower and watch the rain pouring down a few inches in front of my face and wonder at the miracle of the sun that still shines despite it.  I want to stick my tongue out and taste it . . . that cool clean taste, unlike any other.

I want to lay a towel out on the grass and lay on top of it and watch that miniscule world as it marches past my nose . . . I want to believe that I can see a fairy if I really try . . . again.

 

I want to pick wild berries . . . and climb a tree . . . pack up a peanut butter sandwich and an apple in a brown paper sac and go off on an adventure for the day, with no destination in mind . . .  no plans . . . just seeing where I end up.

I want to buy a whole water melon and cut it in half, and then cut a big huge wedge from it and eat it with abaondon . . . even if the melon does get all over my face.  I want to make mud pies.

 

I want to have a tea party with my teddy bears and dolls, and talk about visiting the Queen . . . I'll fill the tea pot with kool aid, and I'll have oreo cookies . . . I'll wear a funny hat, and a pretend mink stole . . . and we'll stick our little pinkies out.

I want to play school . . . and I want to be the teacher.

I want to hunt for treasure . . . believing that I'll find it.

I want to catch crickets and fire flies in a jar.



What is it about growing up that causes us to lose all the joy and wonderment of childhood?  How do we become so jaded, that we lose the ability to take pleasure in all these simple things??  When is it that we forget simple joys like bare feet in the grass, mud pies, and days filled with adventures and peanut butter sandwiches???

Children look at the world with honest and believing hearts.  I think that is the secret to their wonderment.  They believe that anything is possible, and that they are capable of doing and being anything they want to be. They have a simple faith and trust in all things around them.   I'm quite sure that is why the Saviour said . . .

Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
~Mark 10: 14-15 



I know . . . I probably won't be climbing any trees or making any mud pies this summer . . .  but I think I will walk on the grass in the back garden in my bare feet, just once more.  I am past running, but I think I can manage a walk . . .  I have decided to try to look at the world, and at others . . .  with the eyes  and heart of a child.  I will recapture the wonder that is this life, and this time, I vow not to let it go.

 

I was sitting here watching the telly last night. I had taped an interview that Pierce Morgan had done with Lulu and I was watching that.  I found it very, very interesting and she was definitely a very interesting person for sure.  I can remember the first time I ever saw her sing and when I was a teen I can remember wanting to be like her, with those huge eyes and that Bee Gee hanging on her arm.  Alas . . . I was no Lulu and . . . I had no Bee Gee.
 
At one point she was describing the type of man she was looking for . . . intelligent, articulate, funny with a great sense of humour . . . and I said . . ."Todd, she's looking for you!"  but . . . she can't have him.  No . . . no . . . He's all MINE!

Who'd a thunk it eh?  That  one day . . .  I'd  have something that Lulu wanted???

 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . a delicious Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Cake!

“Life is to be enjoyed, not endured” 
~Gordon B Hinckley

 

No comments: